Skip to main content

reflections and rantings

I have thought about what I wrote day before last since I wrote it. Whatever I said about my church and race needs to have this added to it: our church chose to to be muticultural/multi racial before the end of Apartheid in 1994. We have received so much love across the race lines. Our closest friends here are all different colours. For what is not working there is life coming in. And boo to me. I really want to be choosing peace and love. I should have written from a place of peace and love previously.

South Africa is a country whose history is so entwined with racial tension. The cover of one of our papers had a story about really inflammatory flyers in a hugely popular shopping centre that advocated genocide against whites. It was put there by young black people. I remember a church service where it was announced that a really harsh white South African who had been involved in some really racially motivated attacks in the past was murdered. Something was said about the nature of this man, it obviuosly offended an older white couple who stood up and walked out. My own beloved granny referred to our garderner as boy. My siblings and I would plead with her to change, but at 84 she said it was impossible. Jeesh, just read up on Cecil John Rhodes. What he did for business and his pocket was really shocking. I had a coloured friend in college who was umcomfortable with the idea of staying with her white friends. This came after dealing with ridicule and chastisment for having white friends. My youngest sister is a delicous dark chocolate brown. When she was a baby we would walk through the mall white people would stare and whisper. It made us very angry. When we went on holiday to other parts of our country black people stared and asked questions. I hate this race thing because it is evil. It burns, it divides.

My little sister's best friend is also black in a white family. Her closest friends at school are two germans, both white, another white child and a muslim child. She sees the colour but sees the person behind the colour. Children seem to be able to do things differently. Did I mention her closest guy friend is white afrikaans which historically speaking should not be the case.

This is me. I am oppinionated (and maybe i can't spell), but I am willing to learn and to change. More than anything I want to live as Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Longing for Winter

"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are." — E.E. Cummings  "Unbeing dead isn't being alive." — E.E. Cummings "We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us something is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit." — E.E. Cummings   I had not intended to start with anything like the above quotes, but aren't they amazing?  What I had wanted was to find a poem about winter.  In the spider-webbed, cardboard-boxed-up mind of mine I remember something and I decided it was e.e.cummings but even though the internet is oh wow! I can't find it. Or maybe it's the dust.   My husband needs all of the credit for this post.  We discuss our life continuously.  We look at the good and the bad, what we are doing right and what is going horribly wrong.  A

First glimpses of our Japan

 The first pic is of...well...me packing and my little brother watching a movie. This next one is of Alexander snuggled up on the plane.  We flew with Emirates and it was amazing!  The Dubai airport at 1am is, however, overwhelming.                                                                               Our first experience of a Japanese supermarket.                                                                                  Takashi and Tiffany are a couple from the church.  They picked us up from the airport and then took us to the store.  The littlies were not playing along at this point, but who could really blame them?  Our first Starbucks experience (Emiel's first) was in Japan!! And man was it good!!!  Chiaki (I hope that's right) and Jaqueline.  Jaqueline is amazing.  She does a bit of everything at the church and has been so helpful in getting us here.  She is Brazilian believe it or not.   She had to learn Japanese when she ca

My son's first day of school

Yesterday was Alexander the gorgeous' first day of playschool. I had no expectation of him thinking it amazing or even wanting to be there.  My little guy is not that into socializing with other kiddies of his age.  That is the only reason on earth that we would ever consider him starting school before turning 2.   This is what his first day looked like.   School started at 9:00 and ended at 11:00 and for the entire time my beloved child played by himself.   That being said he enjoyed most of the activites offered.  What is glaringly obvious is that my child is so like me.  I am as happy as can be in my world with my husband and my children.   When I go to birthday parties or teas I tend to draw away.  I sit by myself until someone thinks I'm looking lonely and comes to sit and talk to me. I am more than likely too intense, or I take way to long to explain something and the person scuttles off to find lighter conversation. I'm not insecure about it or sore about it.