Skip to main content

a new, some work on my character

I have been told quite a few times in my 27 almost 28 years of life that I am not a grateful person. It is something that really, really upsets me but if I lay out the facts it is easy to see there may some truth in it. I don’t write thank you cards, I forget to phone my gran to thank her for birthday and Christmas presents, I guess I often overlook the blessings God pours out over my family. I think I even sometimes I get jealous when my husband has something amazing happen to him and not to me. So I have decided to do an “I’m grateful for…” page as soon as I’ve figured out how to do the pages thing (I actually want to eventually have this blog become something beautiful and colourful with different sections, I have so many different things going on in my brain all the time). But seeing as leaving it until my internet savviness has increased may help perpetuate this character flaw, I’ve decided to start posting some of the things I have to be wow about.
My husband: This man is amazing! When I was younger I had a list about two pages long with qualities, physical attributes and life experiences I felt I needed in a life partner. Lists are not the best way to do things but I can say that God gave me the best points off that list (I’ll post the list at a later time when I find it). More importantly he gave me a man willing to grow, to learn, to change to become the best husband and father as God directs him. He adores me and thinks I am beautiful always (my mom always said I needed to wait until God brought me a man who would adore me, not to settle for second best). I am so grateful for him!
My children: My past behavior had me in a place where I was preparing myself for the possibility of not being able to have children. I had spoken to my husband about it and prepared him while we were still engaged (we spoke about everything and I recommend, I urge every couple in that time to do the same, you don’t want to find out in marriage that your spouse doesn’t want children and you do). About 4months into our marriage I fell pregnant. Imagine the elation. At 7weeks I had a miscarriage. I was devastated, but found myself pregnant again shortly after. Alexander is the most beautiful little boy. He has a sweet nature (even if he is going through a yucky toddlerish, trying to find his space in life stage) and a very distinctive character. He loves music and dancing. He adores Wallace and Grommet and has become really interested in cars, maybe because they make great missiles). I get to be a part of the journey of this special little boy who will one day become a world changing man. My daughter was this wow moment. She was born and was just different from her brother. She is a content baby, who is happy and gurgling almost all of the time. It is like I see things more clearly with her because she is so easy. I have often been asked how I find it having two children especially having a 17month age gap I find it easier than just one. It blows my mind that get to be a mommy!
I can write again
I have a roof over my head that I have not had to pay rent for
I have parents that are still married (that is a biggie for me ever since I was a little child) and are continuously working on their marriage
I have parents who have seen me go through some real yuck stuff and become an unpleasant person and still loved me enough to help out it
I have a beautiful sister called Robyn, who has survived some really crappy decisions, and is now mummy to my gorgeous niece, Ella
I have a brother called Anthony who seems to have had something change in him; he is becoming the man he was called to be
I have a miracle sister called Zinny who is 8 and spunky and gorgeous and happy and loves school even if she battles
I have lots more to be grateful for but this is the start to a changed person

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Longing for Winter

"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are." — E.E. Cummings  "Unbeing dead isn't being alive." — E.E. Cummings "We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us something is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit." — E.E. Cummings   I had not intended to start with anything like the above quotes, but aren't they amazing?  What I had wanted was to find a poem about winter.  In the spider-webbed, cardboard-boxed-up mind of mine I remember something and I decided it was e.e.cummings but even though the internet is oh wow! I can't find it. Or maybe it's the dust.   My husband needs all of the credit for this post.  We discuss our life continuously.  We look at the good and the bad, what we are doing right and what is going horribly wrong.  A

First glimpses of our Japan

 The first pic is of...well...me packing and my little brother watching a movie. This next one is of Alexander snuggled up on the plane.  We flew with Emirates and it was amazing!  The Dubai airport at 1am is, however, overwhelming.                                                                               Our first experience of a Japanese supermarket.                                                                                  Takashi and Tiffany are a couple from the church.  They picked us up from the airport and then took us to the store.  The littlies were not playing along at this point, but who could really blame them?  Our first Starbucks experience (Emiel's first) was in Japan!! And man was it good!!!  Chiaki (I hope that's right) and Jaqueline.  Jaqueline is amazing.  She does a bit of everything at the church and has been so helpful in getting us here.  She is Brazilian believe it or not.   She had to learn Japanese when she ca

Laughter

I laughed today. I laughed more than I have in a long time. It felt so good to laugh, I felt free. I need to make the decision to laugh more. My laughing made me happy, made my husband feel loved, made my children feel secure. Such a simple thing laughter but with such healing power. I wish I had laughed more over the years and worried less about all of the millions things available for me to worry about. My husband challenged me the other day with this: in every situation ask the question how do I glorify God in this? I think my laughing today glorified God. I think it said I can laugh because I know I don't have to worry about what I can't handle and I don't have to worry about what I can. I can laugh because I know my God holds me in the palm of His hand.