Skip to main content

New Year, Old Challenges

With it being the beginning of a new year I’ve again decided to try the One Year Bible. I say again, because I tried last year and the year before that and I never actually manage to stick with it. Funnily enough the introduction points out that this is the perfect bible for consistent readers and that I am not, but I want to be. I love the Word and believe implicitly that I will never make a difference if I am not studying it all the time. I need to be swimming in it, feeding from it, drinking it in all the time. So I am on day 3. Yeah! Hopefully I will make it to the end. Emiel and I have made the decision to help each other out with sticking to what we are committing to, kinda like giving each other permission to irritate the other if need be. Day 3’s New Testament reading was Matthew 3:7-4:11, but what really whacked me was this from 3:7 to 3:10.
But when he (John) saw many Pharisees and Sadducees coming to watch him baptize, he denounced them. “You brood of snakes!” he exclaimed. “Who warned you to flee God’s coming wrath? 8Prove by the way you live that you have repented of your sins and turned to God. 9Don’t just say to each other, ‘We’re safe, for we are descendants of Abraham.’ That means nothing, for I tell you, God can create children of Abraham from these very stones. 10Even now the ax of God’s of God’s judgment is poised, ready to sever the roots of the trees. Yes, every tree that does not produce good fruit will be chopped down and thrown into the fire”.
Wow, wow, wow!!!! Emiel and I are in this space that it is not good saying you are anything if the way you live is not saying the same thing. The idea is old, I know, but it seems like nothing really changes. What I get from the portion above is that I am as good as a Pharisee or Sadducee if I am not living out my faith in such a tangible way that others feel God’s love through me. What good is it really to be a Christian if I do not love and live as God has called me through the example of Christ? He even provided the Holy Spirit to guide us; the Holy Spirit loves as God loves. It is so simple, really, this faith thing. My life must reflect that I have repented of my sins and have turned to God and for me turning to God is this, Matthew22:37-39 Jesus replied, “’You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” I guess the best evangelism is to love as Christ does, as the Holy Spirit does, as God does. I guess if I’m loving my neighbor, whoever my neighbor is, I’m turned to God.
By the by and completely aside from the last thought I love the New Living Translation Second Edition. It is the Word in my language.
Ok, so I’m done. Off do some investigating on baby-led weaning .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Longing for Winter

"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are." — E.E. Cummings  "Unbeing dead isn't being alive." — E.E. Cummings "We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us something is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit." — E.E. Cummings   I had not intended to start with anything like the above quotes, but aren't they amazing?  What I had wanted was to find a poem about winter.  In the spider-webbed, cardboard-boxed-up mind of mine I remember something and I decided it was e.e.cummings but even though the internet is oh wow! I can't find it. Or maybe it's the dust.   My husband needs all of the credit for this post.  We discuss our life continuously.  We look at the good and the bad, what we are doing right and what is going horribly wrong.  A

First glimpses of our Japan

 The first pic is of...well...me packing and my little brother watching a movie. This next one is of Alexander snuggled up on the plane.  We flew with Emirates and it was amazing!  The Dubai airport at 1am is, however, overwhelming.                                                                               Our first experience of a Japanese supermarket.                                                                                  Takashi and Tiffany are a couple from the church.  They picked us up from the airport and then took us to the store.  The littlies were not playing along at this point, but who could really blame them?  Our first Starbucks experience (Emiel's first) was in Japan!! And man was it good!!!  Chiaki (I hope that's right) and Jaqueline.  Jaqueline is amazing.  She does a bit of everything at the church and has been so helpful in getting us here.  She is Brazilian believe it or not.   She had to learn Japanese when she ca

Laughter

I laughed today. I laughed more than I have in a long time. It felt so good to laugh, I felt free. I need to make the decision to laugh more. My laughing made me happy, made my husband feel loved, made my children feel secure. Such a simple thing laughter but with such healing power. I wish I had laughed more over the years and worried less about all of the millions things available for me to worry about. My husband challenged me the other day with this: in every situation ask the question how do I glorify God in this? I think my laughing today glorified God. I think it said I can laugh because I know I don't have to worry about what I can't handle and I don't have to worry about what I can. I can laugh because I know my God holds me in the palm of His hand.