Skip to main content

Why don't you love somebody?

I read some blogs that are just so beautiful.  They are laid out in ways that immediately draw your eye and colour your day.  Their authors (I think of blog in terms of words) or creators (each post is like a work of art), are people that write stuff that captivates and motivates.  I want to be able to do that.  No, more honestly would be to say I want to be able to write posts that don't need pictures for people to read them.  

I have just read an amazing post about a man being freed from prison and the bloggers response to him.  She understands that loving this man, most others would ignore, will be the thing that changes him.   She gets that loving him tells him about Jesus.  Then I read all the comments and everyone is telling her how nice she is.  I want to comment and say she's not doing it to be nice, she's doing it because that's what people who say they love Jesus are supposed to do.  I was reminded today of the verse that speaks of hating family to follow Christ (Luke 14:26).  Eina (that means SORE for all of you that don't understand Afrikaans)!  Shane Claireborne goes onto say (the reminder came from The Irrestible Revolution) that "Biological family is too small of a vision. Patriotism is far too myopic. A love for our own relatives and a love for the people of our own country are not bad things, but our love does not stop at the border." God expects us to love our Christian brother (not that we are not to love the world.  It just that if we don't love our brother how is the world gonna take us seriously?).  And our Christian brother may be a different colour, he or she may be battling with sexual sin, they may be batling with addiction.  Our Christian brother may stink to the high heavens because they live on the streets.  Our Christian brother may just go to a different kind of church.  I guess what I'm trying to say is stop judging and start loving.  And I'm not saying I'm getting it right, I'm not.  I'm just saying I know its what God has told us to do. 

ok, ciao again.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Longing for Winter

"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are." — E.E. Cummings  "Unbeing dead isn't being alive." — E.E. Cummings "We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us something is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit." — E.E. Cummings   I had not intended to start with anything like the above quotes, but aren't they amazing?  What I had wanted was to find a poem about winter.  In the spider-webbed, cardboard-boxed-up mind of mine I remember something and I decided it was e.e.cummings but even though the internet is oh wow! I can't find it. Or maybe it's the dust.   My husband needs all of the credit for this post.  We discuss our life continuously.  We look at the good and the bad, what we are doing right and what is going horribly wrong.  A

First glimpses of our Japan

 The first pic is of...well...me packing and my little brother watching a movie. This next one is of Alexander snuggled up on the plane.  We flew with Emirates and it was amazing!  The Dubai airport at 1am is, however, overwhelming.                                                                               Our first experience of a Japanese supermarket.                                                                                  Takashi and Tiffany are a couple from the church.  They picked us up from the airport and then took us to the store.  The littlies were not playing along at this point, but who could really blame them?  Our first Starbucks experience (Emiel's first) was in Japan!! And man was it good!!!  Chiaki (I hope that's right) and Jaqueline.  Jaqueline is amazing.  She does a bit of everything at the church and has been so helpful in getting us here.  She is Brazilian believe it or not.   She had to learn Japanese when she ca

Laughter

I laughed today. I laughed more than I have in a long time. It felt so good to laugh, I felt free. I need to make the decision to laugh more. My laughing made me happy, made my husband feel loved, made my children feel secure. Such a simple thing laughter but with such healing power. I wish I had laughed more over the years and worried less about all of the millions things available for me to worry about. My husband challenged me the other day with this: in every situation ask the question how do I glorify God in this? I think my laughing today glorified God. I think it said I can laugh because I know I don't have to worry about what I can't handle and I don't have to worry about what I can. I can laugh because I know my God holds me in the palm of His hand.