Skip to main content

marital spats in supermarkets

Have you ever noticed that couple that is going at each other in a supermarket?   You can't imagine how the fresh produce could have caused such upset, but their heated debate adds colour to your otherwise mundane shopping experience.  And truth be told it doesn't matter that you were raised not to stare (especially with your mouth hanging open), you can't help yourself but gawk. 

Today just before 12:00 Emiel and I were that couple having the spat in the grossest smelling shop in our town.  -Break in thought, but how can you allow your store to sell like sour milk?????? And why was I shopping there????- We were trying to work out what to feed our son and discussing discipline and I didn't realise it was so obvious until out of the corner of my eye I saw a bunch of ladies waiting in line for the till and they were staring!!!  I told Emiel how much I hated spatting (ok, fighting) in public and that people were in fact looking (he has always thought we have some invisibilty cloak) so I turned to stare straight at the ladies.  I shouldn't think it funny as I was very naughty, but it took them so long to register and when they did, boy did they get a shock!

Contrary to popular belief I don't like fighting in public.  It irks every fibre of my being to be caught in "reality" like that.  But it irks me also to think like that.  I think we have a bit of a wrong perception that Christian marriages are perfect or that by hiding the issues we benefit those around us.  I really hate the idea that anyone enters marriage thinking it is going to be a bed of roses or that it is easy; I feel the same way about people getting saved.  I would rather they knew what it was really like and made decisions prayerfully and with much thought.  Marriage can be the hardest place.  It is a lot about iron sharpening iron (Proverbs 27:17) when two people live so closely together.  And what the one experiences the other gets to be a part of.  But it can also be so beautiful!  And sometimes the reality is that it is just routine.  While we may have had our public spat today the rest of the time people see us we are laughing, or I am crying (because of who knows what), or we are flirting with each other.  Sometimes when people see us we walk in silence contemplating what the other has just said.  And other times we're just trying to calmly get through whatever it is while our son screams hysterically for no reason

grainy camera phone: don't you love the tape onthe bridge of my glasses?

grainy camera phone: we look good together don't ya think?

not so grainy camer phone: before the glasses broke

I love Emiel with everything in me.  And I would choose my married life over my single life any day of the week.  So when I have a marrital spat in public it doesn't mean my marriage is crumbling, it might just mean I have bad manners and have not considered the people around me.  I think marital, or any relational spats are a little selfish, a little me wanting to express my unhappiness or you being wrong and who cares who sees (again there are no invisibility cloaks!).

Ok, those are my thoughts for this post.

Hope it is well with you
Philippa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Longing for Winter

"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are." — E.E. Cummings  "Unbeing dead isn't being alive." — E.E. Cummings "We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us something is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit." — E.E. Cummings   I had not intended to start with anything like the above quotes, but aren't they amazing?  What I had wanted was to find a poem about winter.  In the spider-webbed, cardboard-boxed-up mind of mine I remember something and I decided it was e.e.cummings but even though the internet is oh wow! I can't find it. Or maybe it's the dust.   My husband needs all of the credit for this post.  We discuss our life continuously.  We look at the good and the bad, what we are doing right and what is going horribly wrong.  A

First glimpses of our Japan

 The first pic is of...well...me packing and my little brother watching a movie. This next one is of Alexander snuggled up on the plane.  We flew with Emirates and it was amazing!  The Dubai airport at 1am is, however, overwhelming.                                                                               Our first experience of a Japanese supermarket.                                                                                  Takashi and Tiffany are a couple from the church.  They picked us up from the airport and then took us to the store.  The littlies were not playing along at this point, but who could really blame them?  Our first Starbucks experience (Emiel's first) was in Japan!! And man was it good!!!  Chiaki (I hope that's right) and Jaqueline.  Jaqueline is amazing.  She does a bit of everything at the church and has been so helpful in getting us here.  She is Brazilian believe it or not.   She had to learn Japanese when she ca

Laughter

I laughed today. I laughed more than I have in a long time. It felt so good to laugh, I felt free. I need to make the decision to laugh more. My laughing made me happy, made my husband feel loved, made my children feel secure. Such a simple thing laughter but with such healing power. I wish I had laughed more over the years and worried less about all of the millions things available for me to worry about. My husband challenged me the other day with this: in every situation ask the question how do I glorify God in this? I think my laughing today glorified God. I think it said I can laugh because I know I don't have to worry about what I can't handle and I don't have to worry about what I can. I can laugh because I know my God holds me in the palm of His hand.