Skip to main content

What is up with my attitude?

I am going to give you the moral of the story first, so that you can make an educated decision as to whether you actually want to read this very journal like, introspective post.  The moral is this, we have to make the choice in life to look at the good and to sometimes disregard the bad.  It is very easy to see the bad and sometimes more difficult to see the good.  But let me tell you it is soooooo easy to become a miserable revolting mess.

 You have been warned.
I cried much of the day yesterday, big body rocking, snot producing snobs.  I cried yesterday because it was my birthday.  And because it was my birthday, I woke up in a funk.  And because I was in a funk I screamed at my parents in a horrible, hysterical, yucky fashion.  And because I did that I woke up this morning knowing I had yet again damaged the relationship with  my mom.  My eyes were swollen and piggy and I realised that all the sore I felt on the day most everyone I know is stoked (I am a surfer's wife, we use words like that) about, needs to be sorted out.  I learnt quite a bit actually and I want to share it with you:

1. I have major birthday hurt from birthdays having been forgotten in the past (ok it might have only been once) and just being too damn poor  for a bunch of years.

2. I have MAJOR church hurt.  I am a broken, crumbly, gross, mess as a result of things that happened in my previous church.  Man oh man!  I have the hugest walls put up now towards the people in my current church and because of that I am super critical of everything I see.  Yuck!!!!!!!  And how unGodly!!!!!  This most definitely has to stop.  I have realised (through my mom pointing it out) that my attitude is obvious and stinky (my thoughts on the matter).  How am I glorifying God in this?  

3.  I have a skewed perception of what others think of me.  It is always an overwhelming experience that Lucy, darling friend, wants to see me on my birthday (which she did yesterday) and blesses me with gifts and a thoughtout card.  It is always the card that floors me.  The way she sees me and the way I think she sees me are two totally different things.  

4.  I hate Valentine's Day.  For years on Valentine's day I was desperate for the card or rose or chocolate that all the other little girls (ok, maybe not all) got.  In the beginning my parent's would do something special.  As I got older my need to be noticed became more intense.  It really hurt me on that stupid day that I was not noticed (if it was as simple as that).  Then at about 13 I finally had a boyfriend (I think he was my boyfriend).  Finally somthing good was about to happen.  But he didn't get me anything.   And I think because I got him something his mom did a V card which he gave me the next day on my birthday!!!!!!!!  Years later on my first Very Horrible day with the love of my life, he splurged on that day and had no money for my birthday.   

5.  As bad as I felt yesterday, I felt so silly, no, stupid, sitting at a dinner that was gifted to us by our pastor and his wife, realising I don't honour people on their birthdays and I am not a grateful person.

AND FINALLY my tendency of late, to see the glass half empty, to pick out all the wrong, to focus on the yuck stuff, is SO not good enough!!!!!!  I am going to write out a list of the things that I am grateful for and put it up in a spot where I can see it every morning.  I am going to read it before I get it out of the bed.  And I AM going to CHOOSE to start my day off in a good space. 

So I love all of you and I thank you for reading.  The very next post is going have a recipe!!!!! I think I want to write a cookbook.  One that I think is beautiful with food that my family thinks is super delicious.

Be blessed and choose to keep growing, even if you find the process as painful as I do.  I serve a gracious, loving God who allows me these moments, but in loving Him in return I don't want to keep having them.
Philippa 

      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swollen-eye girl

My husband suggests I change my e-mail to swolleneyegirl@something.somethingelse.  It has something to do with the look of my right eye.  Little children, mine, were playing rough in my bed.  One child, the boy, pushes the other child, the girl, and that child lands on/in my eye.  What happened as a result is a fracture in the bone behind the eye.  Not really a problem, but I blew my nose a bit later.  This pushed air through the fracture in the sinus and it popped my eye out of the socket.   Luckily I was able to put it back.  I have to rest my eye and not blow my nose for 10days.  But God is so faithful, it could have been worse, the eye doctor blessed us with huge discount and another patient offered us a free family photo shoot.



And in other news we will be picking up our visas on the 28th of December!!!!!!!  God is so faithful and we have seen miracle upon miracle happen!  We know He will continue to move all mountains!  Please continue to pray for us!

As sore as my eye is I am f…

Alexander gets lost

Last night we lost Alexander while shopping.  We'd actually gone to look for a blanket for bicycle rides and he was really excited.  We'd also allowed him to walk beside us not attached to us.  Being 2 he abused this privilege and bolted.  I don't know why we took so long to register that we couldn't see him or why nobody paid us any attention when we started screaming his name.  Last night I'm sure I became the crazy gajin (foreigner) ranting.  Imagine the scene: I'm dressed like a ... I don't know-someone who didn't go to fashion school... and my eyes are already red and swollen from crying (another tale for another time.)  Bebe calmly perched on my hip, didn't even peep.  Emiel had the sense to remember that Alexander had wanted to go downstairs and went to look for him.  Alexander had taken himself down the escalators (I hated the stupid moving stairs before now I have even more yucky emotion towards them).  A woman on the basement floor found …

The first week of school

It's late and my thoughts might come out a bit smooshed, but I have to get into the practice of doing this again.

Today was hard.  This week was hard.

I started work after a seriously short holiday, with longing in my heart to stay home with Oliver.  My heart breaks for the mothers who have to work, I know there are those you want to, but there are many more who have to. My heart breaks for myself.  At this stage we have no idea what to do with our precious youngest child.  At 14 months he is getting too big and busy to still come to work with me and we cannot afford to put him into a playschool.  I am very grateful that he is able to be with Emiel. It works, for now, kinda.    

Beatrice started big school this week.  It has been exhausting, even trying to type this is exhausting. She uses so much energy trying to be good, trying to listen, trying to concentrate, trying to sit still that the minute steps out of the school building she lets go.  I am finding it harder to deal with…