Skip to main content

Wow!!

I am so tired and I am sure I am going to be called away before I even get to write what is on my heart.

Today has not been the greatest.  It has been twilight-zone-ish.  We are in this really intense place in our lives and because everything is moving so quickly a slow day feels even slower.  

And my heart is really quite sore.  After our big walk  Emiel and I watched the movie The Bang Bang Club.  Oh, my goodness.  I have always been so against Apartheid and for years actually felt embarrassed for being white.  I was horrified watching this movie, that I know so little about the struggles in my beloved South Africa.  I felt mortified by the human depravity and the brokenness.  And it strengthened my resolve to live the way Christ did on this earth.  I want to love as he did.   I want to treat people with respect and see the Christ in them.

While we watched the movie my mom phoned to let me know that a guy from our previous church had died tragically in a motorbike accident.  I didn't know this man well, but I know that for so long I judged his Christianity.  He was too fun, laughed too freely, didn't seem to follow the same rules I thought I was supposed to follow.  And then after not having seen him for something like a year I saw him at that worship event.  It really hit me hard.  This man had a wife and two little children and a church family that loved him.  And then I saw all of the tributes poured out of people's hearts onto their Facebook statuses and I was blown away.    The testimony and legacy of  this man is incredible.   He reflected that side of God that is life and joy and freedom!

God moves in a way we will never be able to predict or fully understand.  He does things and allows things that sometimes freak me out.  There are so many questions of how and why that could be asked, but I don't feel the need to ask them.  I don't know how or why but I have such peace that God will turn all things to the good for those that are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:28).

And then today God did something amazing.  A friend of my brother's, who we have not spoken to in a very long time, gave R10 000 towards our trip.  I must tell you the amount is overwhelming but it is the giver that speaks so much more of God being in control.  We are so grateful.

Lord I love you.

Please pray for that family, church family and friends who are brokenhearted.  Please pray for my country.  Please also pray for all the people who have supported us, that God would move mightily in their lives.

Much love
Philippa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Longing for Winter

"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are." — E.E. Cummings  "Unbeing dead isn't being alive." — E.E. Cummings "We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us something is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit." — E.E. Cummings   I had not intended to start with anything like the above quotes, but aren't they amazing?  What I had wanted was to find a poem about winter.  In the spider-webbed, cardboard-boxed-up mind of mine I remember something and I decided it was e.e.cummings but even though the internet is oh wow! I can't find it. Or maybe it's the dust.   My husband needs all of the credit for this post.  We discuss our life continuously.  We look at the good and the bad, what we are doing right and what is going horribly wrong.  A

First glimpses of our Japan

 The first pic is of...well...me packing and my little brother watching a movie. This next one is of Alexander snuggled up on the plane.  We flew with Emirates and it was amazing!  The Dubai airport at 1am is, however, overwhelming.                                                                               Our first experience of a Japanese supermarket.                                                                                  Takashi and Tiffany are a couple from the church.  They picked us up from the airport and then took us to the store.  The littlies were not playing along at this point, but who could really blame them?  Our first Starbucks experience (Emiel's first) was in Japan!! And man was it good!!!  Chiaki (I hope that's right) and Jaqueline.  Jaqueline is amazing.  She does a bit of everything at the church and has been so helpful in getting us here.  She is Brazilian believe it or not.   She had to learn Japanese when she ca

Laughter

I laughed today. I laughed more than I have in a long time. It felt so good to laugh, I felt free. I need to make the decision to laugh more. My laughing made me happy, made my husband feel loved, made my children feel secure. Such a simple thing laughter but with such healing power. I wish I had laughed more over the years and worried less about all of the millions things available for me to worry about. My husband challenged me the other day with this: in every situation ask the question how do I glorify God in this? I think my laughing today glorified God. I think it said I can laugh because I know I don't have to worry about what I can't handle and I don't have to worry about what I can. I can laugh because I know my God holds me in the palm of His hand.