Skip to main content

Taking the train

We had been planning to take a trip to Umeda, Osaka all week.  It was to be this great adventure as 1. it would be all aboard a train and 2. it was seeing something new.  Alexander was so excited to take his first train ride, but was also exhausted from his first week at school.  I am so impressed by how my little man has grown and is constantly improving.  

We arrived at our local station around 10, but ended up spending 25mins trying to figure out how to buy tickets. We managed to get on the train, all a bit weary.  The trip was around twenty minutes, it could have been longer, or shorter for that matter.  There were loads of stops and people getting on and off and it was really quiet.  Alexander and BeBe always get some attention from strangers, but this was even done in hushed tones. It freaks me out, the quieter the surroundings the more I shush my children who probably don't need quite so much shushing. 














I'm making it sound bad, but it wasn't.  The trip was peaceful and exciting! The station at Umeda, on the other hand was a complete shock.  For whatever reason we thought Umeda would be like a bigger Ikeda, but it wasn't.  Umeda station is huge and bustling and full to the seams of people bustling to and fro.  


Stepping out the doors of the station was awe inspiring.  We're not quite country bumpkins, but our love for cities is not that great.  Umeda is lots of tall buildings and malls of 9-15 floors.  There were a millions restaurants and clothing stores and we found it completely overwhelming.  It's not very child friendly.  We were flabbergasted at the amount of shopping that happens for things and clothing and cutsie stuff.  






The trip home was quick and we were delighted to get back to our little 'town.'  We'd told Alexander we'd buy him shoes while still in Umeda at the Hankyu Mall.  Everything there was beyond what we're prepared to spend (designer labels for kids).  We decided we'd still buy him shoes and a donut to compensate for the craziness of the day.  We were blessed to find shoes for 300yen (as opposed to 3, 990 yen.)  

Please excuse the writing, I'm tired my feet are numb from pain, my hands are throbbling (they've cracked from the cold and I sliced the tip off my thumb nail into the bed) and my brain is fuzzy.  This will be one of those post I'll read later and wonder what I was doing.  

 




I  was really not enjoying my day or Japan for that matter when we decided on MacDonald's for lunch.  Generally I hate MacDonald's but today is was an oasis.  While sitting there Alexander accidently dropped an entire cup of coffee on the floor.  The lady who cleaned the floor was so sweet and kind,she even gave us another cup.  

I am so tired.  I keep yawning and every time I type I have to read over it to make sure it makes sense.  I should write this tomorrow.  One last attempt: we had taken Alexander to the only place that seemed available to kids, a games arcade.  Alexander came very close to winning a huge stack of chocolate.  We left the our audience with an advantage.  While at MacD's two girls came up to us holding two bags of chocolates. The girls had been in our auidience and had won. They decided to give a pack to each of the littlies.  So sweet!

Ok I have to go to bed-i'm swaying as I type.  Please excuse all typos, and bad writing.

Much love 
Philippa
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Longing for Winter

"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are." — E.E. Cummings  "Unbeing dead isn't being alive." — E.E. Cummings "We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us something is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit." — E.E. Cummings   I had not intended to start with anything like the above quotes, but aren't they amazing?  What I had wanted was to find a poem about winter.  In the spider-webbed, cardboard-boxed-up mind of mine I remember something and I decided it was e.e.cummings but even though the internet is oh wow! I can't find it. Or maybe it's the dust.   My husband needs all of the credit for this post.  We discuss our life continuously.  We look at the good and the bad, what we are doing right and what is going horribly wrong.  A

First glimpses of our Japan

 The first pic is of...well...me packing and my little brother watching a movie. This next one is of Alexander snuggled up on the plane.  We flew with Emirates and it was amazing!  The Dubai airport at 1am is, however, overwhelming.                                                                               Our first experience of a Japanese supermarket.                                                                                  Takashi and Tiffany are a couple from the church.  They picked us up from the airport and then took us to the store.  The littlies were not playing along at this point, but who could really blame them?  Our first Starbucks experience (Emiel's first) was in Japan!! And man was it good!!!  Chiaki (I hope that's right) and Jaqueline.  Jaqueline is amazing.  She does a bit of everything at the church and has been so helpful in getting us here.  She is Brazilian believe it or not.   She had to learn Japanese when she ca

My son's first day of school

Yesterday was Alexander the gorgeous' first day of playschool. I had no expectation of him thinking it amazing or even wanting to be there.  My little guy is not that into socializing with other kiddies of his age.  That is the only reason on earth that we would ever consider him starting school before turning 2.   This is what his first day looked like.   School started at 9:00 and ended at 11:00 and for the entire time my beloved child played by himself.   That being said he enjoyed most of the activites offered.  What is glaringly obvious is that my child is so like me.  I am as happy as can be in my world with my husband and my children.   When I go to birthday parties or teas I tend to draw away.  I sit by myself until someone thinks I'm looking lonely and comes to sit and talk to me. I am more than likely too intense, or I take way to long to explain something and the person scuttles off to find lighter conversation. I'm not insecure about it or sore about it.